Washington Elementary encourage you to register your child for kindergarten as soon as possible.
- Children who will be five years old on or before Sept. 10, 2019 are eligible to register
- For information about registering for kindergarten, call Washington Elementary at 503-399-3193 or call the Office of K-12 Education at 503-399-2632.
- Find information about School Bus transportation
What You Need to Register for Kindergarten
In order to register a child for kindergarten, parents must provide:
- Your child’s birth certificate as proof of age
- Proof of residence
- An updated record of your child’s immunizations.
Parents can help their children get ready to start kindergarten by helping them:
- Hold and use a pencil, crayon and scissors correctly
- Write their name with correct capital and lower case letters
- Identify numbers, basic shapes, colors and patterns
- Learn how to take turns and share with others
- Follow simple rules, routines and directions
- Identify the letters of the alphabet
New state standards have elevated learning expectations for all students. Once considered a transitional year between home and school, kindergarten now represents a child’s first year of formal education.
If you have questions about how to help your child get ready for kindergarten, please contact Washington Elementary PrincipalScott Stenlund.
All Salem-Keizer elementary schools are committed to helping each kindergarten student make as much social and academic progress as possible, while developing confidence and a love of learning. School we are here to help your student take this important first step into education.